Monday, October 18, 2010

What is O.D.D?

O.D.D - an acronym that I wish they put some more thought into before they named it. Imagine being a kid diagnosed with ODD! "Honey, you're just ODD!" If you have a child with any emotional issues at all, this will not be taken lightly.
"Hey! Don't post this on your Blog!"

Here is some information taken directly from the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.

In children with Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), there is an ongoing pattern of uncooperative, defiant, and hostile behavior toward authority figures that seriously interferes with the youngster’s day to day functioning.  Symptoms of ODD may include:
  • Frequent temper tantrums
  • Excessive arguing with adults
  • Often questioning rules
  • Active defiance and refusal to comply with adult requests and rules
  • Deliberate attempts to annoy or upset people
  • Blaming others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
  • Often being touchy or easily annoyed by others
  • Frequent anger and resentment
  • Mean and hateful talking when upset
  • Spiteful attitude and revenge seeking
 If you think your child is having the problems listed above, you must start changing your approach to parenting immediately. I, for one, have a bit of the old Irish blood in me and cannot stand a temper tantrum. It is like nails on a chalkboard. I react with anger and aggravation first. But now, instead of moving into the discipline mode, I am forced to bite my tongue and respond with unconditional love and coddling. Yes, I know that this is some people's first reaction, but I will guarantee that most of these are women and if you come from a hot head race like the Irish or Italians (of which I have a bit of both) the coddling is not your first thought.

We take each day one at a time, though we are not certain that one of our children may have this problem. It is one of a few things we have looked into - all the while being uncertain, and trying not to be too hard on ourselves for our own failures as a parent. Yes, this is the part of it all that is the hardest, coming to terms with your parenting mistakes and resolving to correct. There is always time to correct.

I just wanted to post this little bit of info for those who may be in our same boat.

Since I had this Digital Diaper idea for the blog and the radio show, I have not gotten much screenwriting done, but I feel accomplished nonetheless. Have any of you tried to undertake a serious creative project only to find yourself slave to your life and envy those whose life is slave to their art? I guess it is a transition for most of us.

Tomorrow I will touch on some of the subjects in future Blog Talk Radio shows hosted by yours truly.
If you have not checked out the show page, see it here. I will warn you that the first show was a bit of a ramble-fest, but I have fixed the known issues and Thursday will be 100% better!












No comments:

Post a Comment